Walking, walking, walking
We all know that moving to music can be lots of fun. It can also be a great way to burn off energy (which kids seem to have in truckloads).
Here are a few of my favourite walking songs. But of course, you don't need to stick with plain old walking. Add some of these new challenges as your child masters the basics.
- walking backwards or sideways
- walking on tippy toes, on your heels or on the sides of your feet
- skipping or galloping
- balance along a wall
- stretch out a piece of string and walk heel-to-toe along the string
- avoid the cracks when walking on a footpath or in a shopping centre
- littlies can walk behind a trolley or holding your hands
Just don't expect preschoolers to keep in time with the music when they walk or run. They probably won't be developmentally ready to do that until they are at least 7 years old.